As a parent, you are the most important person in your child's life. Research tells us that effective parenting styles can make a difference. Better understanding on how to communicate with, guide, and relate to your child are the basic tools all parents need to raise independent, confident, healthy and happy children. Parenting is about making the best choices. No one said it was going to be easy.
Here are some quick tips to start you on your journey to being a great parent.
- Infants use body language and crying to tell you what they want.
- Talk to your infant while feeding, bathing and diapering.
- Read and sing to your infant on a daily basis.
- Say your infant's name often.
- Copy faces and sounds your infant makes.
- Smile and maintain eye contact.
- Pay attention to what your infant is saying, not how she/he is saying it.
- Learn what to expect as your infant grows and what you can do to support your infant's development.
- Establishing routines at bathtime and bedtime helps your infant predict what comes next and feel secure.
- Encourage safe play and exploration.
- All infants are different. It is your job to accept and guide them to develop their own unique personality.
- Give your infant love and attention everyday.
- Hold, comfort and protect your infant.
- Be emotionally and physically available. You cannot spoil a baby!
- Comfort your infant when they are upset, sick or hurt.
- Allow other family members to help and play with your infant.
It is important to believe you can be a great parent!
Download this information as a PDF