Children's Services Division
For Residents: Child Care and Assistance Information
Community Services has responsibility for Niagara's child care system for children from birth to 12 years of age and is managed through Children's Services. Management of the child care system includes:
- Planning and co-ordination to ensure that a range of high-quality options are available including licensed child care centres, licensed home based programs, recreation services, resource centres and literacy supports
- Financial assistance/fee subsidy for eligible families
- Supports for the inclusion of children with special needs
- Resource centres that provide unique services for parents and caregivers, including playgroups and professional development
- Wage subsidy distribution to service providers for staff employed in licensed child care programs
- Framework for Niagara's Best Start Child and Family Service System
Services are provided through more than 70 contracts with community service providers across the Niagara region, with six licensed programs directly operated by the Regional Municipality of Niagara. Community service providers include licensed child care programs, recreation, resource centres and literacy services.
To inquire about services and supports, please call 905-984-6900.
Are you interested in subsidized recreational or cultural programs for your child?
For information on choosing quality child care, visit eccdc.org, call 905-646-7311, or visit:
Early Childhood Community Development Centre
3340 Schmon Pky.
Thorold, ON L2V 4Y6
To ensure access to a coordinated, diverse range of affordable quality services and supports for young children and families residing in Niagara.
Summary of Objectives
- Complete the development and implementation of business practices and accountability measures, to ensure the best services within the dollars available
- Plan and implement an integrated case management approach with Social Assistance and Employment Opportunities Division and within Community Agencies
- Complete the development of the local child care plan, establish priorities and implement system changes
- Provide leadership in planning, service coordination and community development to the Early Years initiative
- Stabilize staffing through recruitment and ongoing training based on commitment to staff and career development
- Develop communication strategies to ensure stakeholders are better informed about Children's Services